Even though most of us in Granolaville aren't in any kind of shape to participate in the ACTUAL Olympics, wouldn't it be fun to get that feeling of accomplishment only experienced when wearing a gold medal around your neck?
Each year my family hosts an end of the summer BBQ for my husband who's birthday is Sept 3rd . Being that my hubs is kinda competitive (Read: must be on the winning team or there is hell to pay) we gather up all of our friends and family for a hardcore game---testing our strength, stamina and coordination playing...WHIFFLEBALL BABY!
You may laugh, but we take Whiffleball VERY seriously in our house. It started off as just a giant yellow bat and holy white ball. But after years of hosting these, my husband has perfected our "field", going as far as drawing a perfectly measured chalk infield, building a strike zone with with some plywood and a post, and setting up orange cones for foul balls
Like I said the man is serious.
It got me thinking, in honor of the 2012 Summer Olympics, wouldn't it be cool to have numerous summertime events where everyone can duke it out for prizes while enjoying a cold beverage and yummy BBQ? Hellz yeah it would!
So I've begun planning mode for our 1st Annual Backyard Olympics!
Each person competing will get 1-3 points, depending on where they place for each event. Small medals, that you can get at the Dollar Store, will be given to the winner of the individual event. At the end of our Backyard Olympics the person with the most points will be awarded the super-awesome-kickass-uber-crunchy GRAND PRIZE! (Yet to be determined)
Here are some of the events I've come up with so far:
- Eating Obscene Amounts of Food: My husband LOVES the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest so we'll do our own version with mini cupcakes! (gluten-free of course)
- Did someone say obstacle course?! Set up your yard to look like a mini Hunger Games, with plenty of things to crawl under, jump through, and climb. Make it MORE challenging (and hysterical) by making everyone wear swimmies, flippers, and a snorkel.
- Anyone can hop on one foot, but can you do it while chugging a beer (or juice box for the kids)?
- Tug-o-War anyone?
- Shake your hips and see how long you can Hula Hoop for.
- Sprinting race wearing flippers.
- Ring toss with beans bags.
- Nerf gun shoot out. Set up empty cups. Knock em down.
- Pillowcase races
- Play volleyball, but instead of trying to hit the ball back and forth, each team must catch the ball with a blanket and throw it back the same way!
- Set up six 2-liter bottles (put a few inches of water in the bottom of each bottle) like bowling pins, and see who can knock the most down by kicking a soccer ball.
- Last but not least our EPIC Whiffleball game where the winning team is awarded 3 points, and the losers (aka NOT my husbands team) get 1.
Got any other fun, challenging, or just plain old ridiculous games we can use? Let me know in the comments section below!
Ready to Battle in Granolaville,